What need is addressed by this program?
This client-centered program is for youth ages 11 through 18 years of age and their families who are experiencing significant social, emotional and behavioural problems and require an intensive 24 hour therapeutic setting. Residential placement is considered after other community-based interventions have been exhausted.
Families are expected to be involved in ongoing service with their youth. The Residential program works intensively with youth and their families in the residence and in transitioning back home for a period of 6 months.
How do I access this program?
Simcoe County and York Region have community committees to determine who is appropriate for this intensive service.
Call New Path’s Intake Department 705.725.7656 or from the 905 area code in Simcoe County: 1.866.566.7656 to learn more about criteria for acceptance.
What will the program help me achieve?
The program will assist you to:
• develop a greater understanding of your strengths and challenges
• learn tools and strategies that support improvement with identified challenges and overall functioning
• become aware of available community and other resources
What are the major service activities of the program?
The Residential Program involves 3 major service activities as follows:
1. An initial assessment period to establish client needs and goals
2. Individual, family or group counselling
3. A safe environment that provides support, coaching, behavioural intervention and therapy, educational support and developmentally appropriate life skills.
Where is the program located/available?
The program is offered by New Path in:
• Cookstown (for youth from Simcoe County and York Region)
Who provides service in this program?
Service is provided by a multi-disciplinary team.
Is there a cost for this program?
No, this service is funded by the Ministry of Children & Youth Services, however your Child Tax Benefit may be affected for the period that your youth is in residential placement.