Learn with us. Grow with us.
Student placements are for individuals who are required by their college or university to complete a certain number of hours in their field of study in order to graduate. New Path Youth and Family Services is committed to providing meaningful learning opportunities to students enrolled in social work and counseling programs
Over the years, we’ve benefited from having students work with us in a variety of capacities and welcomed the exchange of learning that occurs between students and staff. We have a proud history of mentoring the next generation of community and social service professionals.
In order to help you understand the program or service you may be interested in, we encourage you to learn about our different programs and services in the Services section of our website.
All placements are unpaid. Please note that some programs will only provide student placements for advanced Masters-level students. Even if your program is not listed in the student placement requirements (see below) you may be able to complete a placement with New Path Youth and Family Services as long as your program meets our eligibility requirements.
Available student Placements
There are currently no placements available.
Applying for a Placement
We only work with academic institutions that meet the following requirements:
- Academic institutions must be registered and in good standing with the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities or their appropriate regional governing body.
- Degree or diploma programs must be recognized by an appropriate regulatory body. Recognition can be through:
- Program accreditation, where it is a standard in the field (e.g. Social Work)
- Eligibility for certification with the appropriate professional body (e.g. Counselling, Child and Youth Workers, Addictions and Mental Health Workers
- Approval by the appropriate professional body (e.g. Social Service Workers)
If you are completing an international program, please contact the New Path Youth and Family Services HR Department at 705.733.2654 extension 2280
You will also need to provide:
- Contact information for the faculty-field liaison at your school
- Accreditation information for your school and academic program
- Description provided by your school of practicum requirements, including number of hours the student is required to complete, educational/licensing requirements for site supervisors, and the responsibilities of the school, site supervisor and placement setting.
Application Process for Student Placement
- Review the Eligibility Requirements tab.
- Please send your cover letter outlining the details of your placement along with your resume to email@example.com
- All applications will be reviewed and you will be contacted via email within 2-4 weeks if your application has been successful.
- The next step is to participate in an interview with a New Path staff member. Following the interview, if you are accepted in our placement program, you’ll need to do the following:
- Initiate the criminal record check and vulnerable sector search process.
- Inform your academic program that you will be completing a practicum with New Path, the program and location you will be working with and your New Path Supervisor’s name.
- Inform your academic program placement coordinator that he/she will need to contact the New Path Supervisor to confirm/approve the placement and ensure all required documentation is in place.
- Complete all New Path required paperwork and training.
- Notify New Path Supervisor if there are issues/concerns regarding the placement.
- Complete the post placement New Path student placement evaluation.